FAQ > General
- Learn. Learn all you can about the different kinds of animal shelters and the challenges they face. Scrutinize heartbreaking Facebook posts. Learn about proper pet care, vaccines, flea prevention, zoonotic diseases, and try to objectively understand different strategies for ending pet homelessness. Ask questions. The more nuances that are understood and shared, the better our community will be.
- Animal welfare starts in the home. Follow the instructions of your veterinarian. Use humane, force-free training. It’s okay to ask for help when it comes to keeping the relationship between you and your pets. And please PLEASE spay and neuter! Ending the plight of homeless pets starts with no birth! Here’s a pet care checklist.
- Volunteer. With our many different opportunities to help the pets, see if something can fit into your schedule. Anything from making a quick day trip up to the Washington D.C. area to transfer a pet to a rescue group to spending a few minutes playing with a kitten can make all the difference in the world.
- Educate. Talk to friends, family, neighbors, and acquaintances about proper pet care. Here are some resources and talking points.
- Foster. Foster homes are invaluable to our special needs pets. More about fostering here.
- Adopt. We couldn’t do what we do unless compassionate people in our own community opened their doors to “second hand” pets.